The eLearning Network® (ELN) video production team recently completed a custom training video project for a prestigious Ivy League university, which adopted an open source video technology called Kaltura. This was our first experience using this video content management system. Following are a few of our observations:
- LMS-style User Management: The system includes secure authentication (username/password) that allows administrators to create and assign courses to specific users just as an LMS does.
- Video Comments/Edits: There is built-in collaboration features whereby subject matter experts (or others) can insert comments regarding the video so that the video editing team can address them.
- Customizable Interface: The system allows for custom branding of the interface so that it can be made to match your existing branding/logo requirements.
- Easy Upload/Download: Users with administrator privileges can easily download and upload videos directly from the course interface. Simply hover over the video and select the upload, download, or Play button.
- Content Management: It is fairly easy and intuitive to organize videos, search media, create playlists, etc., using a comparatively intuitive interface.
- Mobile & HTML5 Video Player Support: A must have for any modern video delivery system.
- Basic Video Editing Tools: You can trim videos, add subtitles, add cue points, etc.
Based on our real-world experience using this technology we believe it is worth consideration as you evaluate your various video delivery technology options.