eLearning Content Development
eLearning Content Development can range from simply posting PowerPoint decks with audio into a Learning Management System to a complex and custom interactive multimedia experience. The content development approach that you take will be based upon the quality and complexity of the eLearning you wish to create. For example, you can use a tool like Articulate Presenter to quickly convert a PowerPoint file into an online eLearning course within minutes. Spend a little extra time and you can add audio narration, quizzes, and other interactive items to your course as well. However, unless you are a professional-level voice talent with a decent sound studio and you are a professional graphic artist with a great eye for design, your course may not look and sound as great as courses developed by skill professionals in each area of eLearning content development.
Major areas of eLearning Content Development
- Instructional Design (Learning & Teaching Theories)
- Content Writing/Storyboard Writing (Technical and Creative Writing)
- Interactive / Game Design
- eLearning Graphic Design/Graphic Artist
- eLearning Authoring / Development (Captivate, Storyline, etc.)
- Project Management
- Quality Control/Editing
e-Learning Content Development Companies
e-Learning Authoring Tools
eLearning Content Development Tips
- If you are brand new to the eLearning development world, consider outsourcing your first project to a company that will work closely with you throughout the process. You will learn a great deal by observing professionals who create eLearning for a living. Be sure to require that your vendor provide you with the source files upon project completion. Also, consider adding training to the contract so that the vendor is required to spend some time teaching you some of the basics.
- Choose your authoring tool wisely. In all likelihood you will use multiple authoring tools over your eLearning content development career. The trick is to choose the right tool for the right job. If simply adding audio and a few quiz questions to existing PowerPoint decks is sufficient, then the rapid eLearning tools will do just fine. However, the same content put in the hands of a professional eLearning development company using more sophisticated tools can significantly increase quality and effectiveness of your eLearning.
- Download our job aids and templates. The eLearning Network offers numerous free job aids including our ADDIE checklist, project management guide, eLearning templates, and more.